It’s been a long time since I took a morning like this.
I have a pile of work to get through, but I trust I will get there. I’m off to see a friend shortly, but first I thought I’d blog. Here are my random asides for today:
1. Saturday Morning Twitter. Look, however and whatever you feel about this social network, Saturday Morning Twitter is the best time for it. It’s almost like a breakfast club – a mashup of the jollers coming home, the runners heading out and the coffee addicts pondering where to find their next fix. Then come the parents who are awake early with the kids, and the people who are pondering a soundtrack for this first day of their weekend. I fit – at some point – into all of those categories, and sometimes they cross-over in a scrambled way. And it’s cool. Saturday morning Twitter is human, free of any advertising and just – it’s like coming downstairs when you wake up and finding 400 people in your kitchen, making coffee and doing the crossword. Saturday Morning Twitter Breakfast Club is one of the biggest reasons why I fell i love with Twitter, and I so often miss this little period of time, because I’m busy doing other things. Not today. Damn I love it. Special mention to my friend Sian for reminding me of something that made me laugh so hard this morning.
2. Many, many people I know watched Skunk Anansie last night in JHB. Shush and listen to this and then tell me you’re not moved. Skin is a power-woman. Thank you Andy for the reminder.
3. If you have ever worked in an office, you will understand this. And laugh. And cry. My favourite is Accidental DJ.
4. Randomly, I can directly and perfectly equate the strength of my friendships by the way in which the friend and I can jokingly insult each other. It’s true – Sheena and I developed an entire language around this at one point. On that note, my BFF, Will, last night insulted me SO badly, I am *still giggling*. His burny quip was so cutting and yet so very fitting, it reminded me of how well he knows me. He knows my secrets and will make me laugh at them, in spite of myself. That sounds strange, I know, but the way to my heart is through laughter. He knows all those strange stories of my life history and I know his. And I can trust him to never use them against me, only to make me laugh at myself. It was an incredible moment for me, to finally realise all these things, in such clarity. I am so grateful for my friends.
5. It’s time for me to drink some coffee, do a few emails and then head out for the morning. But, for a few minutes, it’s back to Saturday Morning Breakfast Club Twitter for me. Have a good one, funny, funny Internet.